Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Brazil Visit July 2010


"Sorry Mr Davis this flight to Chile is oversold you have to fly in two days time." I had no hope of getting on standby and my connecting flight to Brazil would be lost! I was sooooo down, and was still praying as I stood rebooking my flight. At the final, final minute, a last second call had me madly running to the gate and I got on! I was 25kg overweight but being so late they ignored this and the donated boards, wetsuits and tools for our CS contact and Homes of Hope, Nathan Anderson. All went through....... Stay tuned for an upcoming short-term mission trip to Chile in February 2011.

After shedding my supplies as surf mule, I went onto crazy Sao Paulo with 20 million Brazilians. It is an endless sea of high rise apartments. I spent the first three days with our uniquely calm 'unbrazillian' Sergio Busatto, our South America Regional Coordinator. We met with his pastor and his church who are a great example of kingdom mindedness and have released him to serve in mission. So good to be face to face as much is lost in email in a second language! Great to attend a local CS mission just starting and being hosted in the home of a seeking surfer who is deciding to follow Jesus - go Roberto!

Along with the Brazil Regional Coordinator Cezar, we headed south to Curitiba and after 5 hours got thoroughly lost. Arriving late and flustered I had no idea what to say. God gave me a timely message with 130 there! "Back to the Beach!!" As if this were not a large enough CS meeting (probably the biggest local weekly meeting I have attended), they actually met in a baptist church that seats a mere 6000? So many big churches in Brazil.

Next morning we left with South Brazil Regional Leader Mauri and headed to his island retreat for 3 days on Ilha do Mel. No cars, no mobile reception, no rush. Just 4 key leaders from the nation discussing the future of the mission. Brazillian debate is similar to most sporting activity - loud, passionate, confusing...... but everyone is friends afterwards. And of course they love to show off their world class BBQ and we laughed a night away. I sprained an ankle on the second day and hobbled about which kept me out of the water, but into more discussion with some of the key women.....and surprise, surprise the same male/female issues abound. Thanks for caring for me Susana, Anna and Paloma.

A final debrief day with Sergio and farewell dinner with wonder wife Kika and I headed home. I was now 'Bible mule' back to Chile and Nathan collected Surfers Bibles at the airport.

I was averaging 4-5 hours sleep a night so a lot of time to think and reflect, feeling God speaking into me.....or was I simply delirous from fatigue? Arriving home again, again, again I realize I've spent a quarter of my life jetlagged for the past 8 years. Amazingly God seems to sustain and inspire. Thanks for those who prayed and 'gaved' for this trip. Off in 2 weeks time for our 9th International Conference in South East Asia with Gill and India. Thanks again my Brazil friends. bd

No comments:

Post a Comment