Sunday, August 2, 2009

Brazil Travels






After a detour to Miami to hang out with Eddie, the father of modern sports ministry network, I was refreshed to head for Brazil. Arriving at 8pm with a partner raising meeting already in progress, I was rushed by Pastor Rod to make the tail end of the meeting.

It was good to advocate for Sergio and I am impressed with how seriously he is taking his transition to the South America Regional leadership role. Juggling being a pastor at a local church, the national director of CS Brazil AND our South America Regional Coordinator is way too much. We meet with his pastor and he says, "She finally got it, she gets the purpose of my international role." I love church partnerships!

There is so much Christian presence in Brazil. "Jesus is Lord", "Jesus is my Saviour," even "I'm Catholic and I'm happy." Bumper stickers adorn cars and old and new church buildings are on most main roads. Some huge billboards as well. Sergio is in a new unit, and yet they are still finishing off the building, typical.

Philippe, Sergio's son,  considers me a novelty. We head off to Curitibe to visit Mauri the southern Brazil leader and I am treated to a Brazillian BBQ restaurant. Now imagine an endless supply of every meat possible being brought out to you on skewers. You can pig yourself out immediately, or pace yourself. I cringe at our aussie t-bone and sausage barbie, I hope I never have to BBQ for a Brazilian. One thing we didn't get to eat was the BBQ chicken hearts...shame.

Mauri shows us the meeting room for the local mission, a single room amongst many in a four story complex that make up the Baptist Church. It seats 6000! Bits of reo hanging out of walls and plastic is pasted into windows instead of glass. They will probably outgrow it before it is even completed!

Our breakfast is held there next morning with a great presentation by Sergio and I do my part.

We then head off to Florionopolis and Santa Catalina Island. This is a real treat, beautiful and the ASP World Tour event is held here. A good friend Motaury shares his story of struggle and life, and hosts us wonderfully.

Did you know Brazil has the largest Japanese population outside of Japan? Sushi bars there are like Chinese restaurants in Australia.

Feeling pretty tired now, it has been 14 days of travelling and so many late nights and early mornings along with jetlag. Got to read Courageous Leadership (Bill Hybels) again, the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment