Tuesday, September 4, 2012

The Desert

After a flight across Australia and then another 10 hours drive north from Perth we set up camp in the early morning at a place I had never been to... 

Red Bluff was on my surfing bucket list and did not disappoint!

Big, scary waves hit us on Wednesday, August 8th and I creased my board first wave. Since I was disappointing in the courage department, it was a good excuse to sit in the channel and watch big barrels and courageous desert rats threading them. At least I thought I was in the channel until a 12' clean up set took me out and cleanly snapped the creased board in such a way paddling it had the nose slapping my forehead. 

There was diving in aqua blue water; red dust four-wheel driving dodging spinifex grass; clouds of stars stretched across the milky way; cold desert nights around the camp fire; team cooking with all the camping mod-cons; fun left-handers at turtles, and the odd turtle;  brilliant sunsets over the ocean; and great company of godly guys as time slowed down.

Yep I would go again...apart from the shark attack there a few days ago.















No comments:

Post a Comment