Thursday, March 25, 2010

Japan Training

I was wondering just how the CS Foundations Training was going to go in Japan, one never knows when the culture is just so different.

First David Levey, our leader, had laid out a challenge to the whole country to send their best leader to the training. He was hoping for 8-10 and 22 attended! This is great for Japan where just 0.1% of the population is Christian and there is very little training offered by the church at large. I was hoping I was not "Lost in Translation" as the point of the training was not simply lecturing.

Thanks to great translators in Aki and Shinko I think I got through ok. Even better was our national leader David delivering training as well as a local Japanese pastor named Paul. My goal was not just to leave behind the training, but a couple of trainers. We started out characteristically shy and quiet, but by the end there was much chattering and discussion and laughter, which is great for a country whose learning culture tends to be rote memory and unquestioning submission to leaders. I was so excited for them as we handed out their completion certificates and hope this is repeated all over the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment