Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Santa Barbara Connections



After a long 14 hour flight with Aaron to LAX we blearily met up with CSUS director Dean Plumlee and North America ASP Chaplain Lyle Castallow for breakfast...dinner time at home. I can't work out why some clever American hasn't got onto the fact that in Australia we are always a day ahead of the USA and they can simply ask us what is going to happen that upcoming day? Dean and Lyle are doing great work with CSUS and I am impressed with their diligence and godliness.

Onto Santa Barbara the home of our ASP Women's Chaplain, Liselle Wilsnaugh and met with her pastor and host family. It was so good to hang out with David and Jane Brown, whom I met on their first CS trip to Australia back in 1991. The godly grow more godly with age and these two are fine examples of that...and I swear David makes the best sourdough waffles in the world.

Really good to see see divine appointments. Do you believe in them? We went to the Channel Islands surfboard factory to meet up with Davey Smith and made our request to the receptionist. She brought back a guy I had never seen in my life, and he was equally suprised asking, "Do I know you?" We both instantly recognised our shared Aussie accents and then he says, "I do know you from somewhere?"

Now I know you American's think Australia is a small place, but it works out this guy was from my local beach and used to be in our Christian Surfers club back in the 80's when he was 13 and "just so happened to be thinking about whether I should start going to church for my kids." When the receptionist apologised that Davey Smith was not available, we could say, "Don't worry, we were really meant to meet Mike!"

Be available for God's divine appointments. I mailed Mike a Surfers Bible and old photo from the CS archives today.

No comments:

Post a Comment